"I'm not a glutton - I'm an explorer of food."
- Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rhubarb Cherry Jam

Besides being delicious, I love the fact that you don't have to "can" this recipe - you can just refrigerate or freeze it. It doesn't last long in our house though, due to the fact that we put it on bread, toast, pancakes, waffles, and ice cream! The kids have such an affectionate nickname for it - Blood Clots and Veins. It's because of the chunks of cherry, the stringy rhubarb, and the deep red color. And I'm sure that makes you REALLY want to try it now, right? =) You should.

5 C. rhubarb
3 C. sugar
1/2 C. water
1 can Wilderness cherry pie filling
2 sm. pkgs. cherry Jell-O

Boil rhubarb, sugar and water for 10 minutes. Add pie filling and boil 5 minutes more. Stir in Jell-O, pour into containers and refrigerate or freeze.

NOTE: One recipe makes about 3 pints. I refrigerate mine in glass canning jars. I have also substituted the cherry pie filling and Jell-O with strawberry, which was yummy!

No comments: