"I'm not a glutton - I'm an explorer of food."
- Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Apple Crisp

Since apples are in abundance right now, I thought I'd post my recipe for Apple Crisp. It's sort of like posting my recipe for Chocolate Cake - everybody has their favorite one. But this is piled high with a delicious, buttery crumb topping that everyone is sure to love - especially with some homemade vanilla ice cream to go with it!

6 C. apples; peeled, cored and sliced
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 C. sugar
2 C. oatmeal
1 1/2 C. flour
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 C. butter, cold

Coat apples with flour and sugar; place in greased glass 9x13 pan. Combine dry ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly and sprinkle over apples. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes, or until topping is nicely browned and apples are bubbling around the edges.

NOTE: You can use a food processor to help mix up your crumb topping. Process dry ingredients first, then add cold butter that's been cut into medium-sized pieces. Don't mix it too long or you'll end up with a wet, buttery mess. (Wanna ask me how I know that?) Stop when things are well-blended and still dry and crumbly, and when the butter chunks are about the size of large peas.

No comments: