"I'm not a glutton - I'm an explorer of food."
- Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Honey and Oat Snack Mix

This could probably qualify as "granola", but since it's got chocolate chunks in it, I'm going with "snack mix".

3/4 C. butter
3/4 C. honey
1/4 C. brown sugar
6 C. Quaker old fashioned oats
4 oz. sliced almonds
1/4 C. self-rising flour
1 C. Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350°. In a medium sauce pan, heat butter, honey and brown sugar over Medium heat until melted. In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds and flour. Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and combine. Stir in chocolate chunks and pour onto sheet pan. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until medium golden brown. Let cool completely and break into bite-sized chunks.

NOTE: I don't keep self-rising flour on hand because none of my other recipes call for it. So I made my own - it was easy! I added 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt to one cup all-purpose flour and stored it in a small Ziploc bag in the freezer.

No comments: